Lens and Pens™ : Vermilion Cliffs
Co-led with Guy Tal
September 20-24, 2017
Limited to 10 participants (5:1 student-to-instructor ratio)
With a focus on creative writing skills, we'll help you:
- Structure your writing process
- Introduce you to effective techniques for writing photographic and personal essays suitable for publication
- Venture into writing expressive poetry
We'll kickoff the workshop with a brief introduction and overview on Wednesday evening. Then, Thursday through Sunday afternoon, with the beautiful Vermilion Cliffs and Marble Canyon country around Lee's Ferry as our backdrop, we will work on both photography and writing assignments. Time in the field will be augmented by classroom sessions in which we'll offer lectures covering topics such as: utilizing a storytelling arc, critiquing and editing your work, generating new ideas and evolving good creative habits. Each participant will have their written and visual expressions reviewed during daily critique sessions.
Designed for intermediate and advanced photographers who are comfortable with the technical aspects of photography, this workshop does not require nor assume any previous writing experience. Our goal is to make you feel more inspired and confident in communicating your knowledge, passions, and experiences in photographs and words. And you'll have a blast in the process!
Cost for this unique workshop is $1,495/person which includes:
- Instruction (classroom, field sessions, & critiques) led by two professional photographers/authors
- 4 nights lodging at the Cliff Dwellers Lodge from September 20 through September 23, 2017 (double-occupancy; limited single occupancy available upon request for an additional $400)
- Glen Canyon National Recreation Area CUA permit & park entrance fees
- Transportation to/from/during the workshop
- Participant meals
A full refund, minus a 10% fee, will be granted to cancellations made at least 90 days prior to the workshop. A full refund, minus the full deposit paid, will be granted to cancellations made with a minimum of 60 days notice prior to the workshop. No refunds will be issued within 60 days of the workshop. If the vacated spot happens to fill prior to the workshop, then a full refund will be granted.
There are no exceptions to this policy. CMS Photography strongly encourages you to purchase trip insurance to protect yourself in the event of unexpected circumstances preventing you from attending our workshops. We recommend Travelex Insurance (www.travelexinsurance.com) or securing through your local AAA if you are an AAA member (aaa.com; in Arizona, they use Allianz Global Assistance).
A $500 deposit is required to reserve your spot for this workshop. The final balance is due on or before July 15, 2017.